These are a selection of the resources which are available to you.
If you would like to suggest any additional resources or improvements, please contact us.
Page updated: 20/02/17
Download the latest Ophthalmology here (PDF):
To look for specific books, please search the Library Catalogue.
Here is a list of some of the newest additions to stock in this subject area:
(Click on the title to check availability on the Library Catalogue)
- Lecture notes: ophthalmology. 12th ed. Chichester: Wiley, 2017.
- Care of the child with ophthalmic problems. Cumbria: M & K Update, 2016.
- Intraocular inflammation and uveitis (Basic & Clinical Science Course 2016-17: Section 9). American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2016.
- Kanski’s clinical ophthalmology: a systematic approach. 8th ed. Edinburgh: Elsevier, 2016.
- Ophthalmology. 3rd ed. Stuttgart: Thieme, 2016.
- Ophthalmology secrets. 4th ed. Edinburgh: Elsevier, 2016.
- Orbit, eyelid & lacrimal system (Basic & Clinical Science Course 2016-17:Section 7). American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2016.
- Retina and vitreous (Basic & Clinical Science Course 2016-17: Section 12). American Academy of Ophthalmology, 2016.
- Walsh & Hoyt’s clinical neuro-opthalmology: the essentials. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer, 2016.
To browse a fuller list of books available on this topic on the catalogue, please click here: browse Ophthalmology books.
Here is an Ophthalmology titles which is available as an e-book (click title to access and log in with NHS OpenAthens login if prompted):
|The Wills Eye Manual: office & emergency room diagnosis and treatment of eye disease. 7th ed.||2016||Bagheri|
|Oxford Handbook of Ophthalmology. 3rd ed.||2014||Denniston|
If you can’t find what you’re looking for, we can obtain articles from other libraries for you via our Document Supply Service.
Here is a selection of some of the journals available for this specialty:
|BMC Ophthalmology||2009-||Freely available|
|British Journal of Ophthalmology||1917-||NHS OpenAthens|
|Clinical Ophthalmology||2007-||Freely available|
|Eye||2002- (1 year delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
|Eye & Vision||2014-||Freely available|
|Ophthalmologica||1998- (1 year delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
|Journal of Ophthalmic & Vision Research||2008-||Freely available|
|International Ophthalmology||1999- (1 year delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
|Ophthalmology & Therapy||2012-||Freely available|
|Ophthalmology & Eye Diseases||2009-||NHS OpenAthens|
NHS Healthcare databases (HDAS) – (NHS OpenAthens login required)
Search across a set of databases including:
AMED – Allied & Complimentary Medicine – allied health professionals, complementary medicine
BNI – British Nursing Index – nursing, midwifery and health visitors
CINAHL – Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature – nursing & allied health professionals
EMBASE – Drugs and pharmacology
Healthcare Business Elite – Healthcare administration, institutional management
HMIC – Healthcare Management Consortium
Medline – general medicine database
PsycINFO – Psychology & allied fields.
ProQuest Hospital Premium Collection – (NHS OpenAthens login required)
PubMed – (no login required)
For more information on these resources, full visit our full Evidence-based practice page.
BMJ Case Reports – NHS OpenAthens login required. Contact us for Fellowship Code to submit case reports.
Clinical Knowledge Summaries – no login required
Cochrane Library – no login required
NICE Evidence search – no login required. See also NICE Guidance, NICE Pathways & Standards & Indicators.
TRiP database – no login required. TRiP PRO is available from NHS networked PCs.
UpToDate – access via Hub (Non-Clinical Systems) on RD&E site, or via NHS OpenAthens off site.
BMJ Learning – NHS OpenAthens login & personal registration required
e-Learning for Healthcare – NHS OpenAthens login. Including access to the Eye-Site programme.
Royal College of Ophthalmologists
Peninsula PGME School of Ophthalmology
Here are some of the latest research publications written by RD&E authors in this specialty:
(added to the RD&E Research Repository):
- Intravitreal aflibercept in neovascular age-related macular degeneration previously treated with ranibizumab.
- Visual impairment certification due to diabetic retinopathy in North and Eastern Devon.
- Changing trend in referral to secondary care specialist thyroid eye disease clinic following the Amsterdam declaration.
- Glaucoma domiciliary service by optometrist.
If you’ve written an article, book or book chapter and you’d like the details added to the RD&E Research Repository, please contact us: rde-tr.ResearchRepository@nhs.net.
For more information on how the library can support your research, please visit the Research Hub.
Click here for instructions and links to download the official NICE apps for:
BNF for Children
To use the NICE BNF and NICE BNFC apps for the first time and to activate any content updates, users will need to enter their NHS OpenAthens user name and password. For further advice, visit the NICE apps support page.