These are a selection of the resources which are available to you.
If you would like to suggest any additional resources or improvements, please contact us.
Page updated: 24/4/17
Download the latest Paediatrics resource list here (PDF):
To look for specific books, please search the Library Catalogue.
Here is a list of some of the newest additions to stock in this subject area:
(Click on the title to check availability on the Library Catalogue)
- Illustrated textbook of paediatrics. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Elsevier, 2018.
- Self-assessment in paediatrics. London: Elsevier, 2018.
- The unofficial guide to paediatrics. Zeshan Qureshi, 2017.
- 100 cases in paediatrics. 2nd ed. London: CRC Press, 2017.
- Children and young people’s nursing: principles for practice. 2nd ed. London: CRC Press, 2017.
- Advanced paediatric life support: a practical approach to emergencies. 6th ed. Chichester: Wiley, 2016.
- The child protection practice manual: training practitioners how to safeguard children. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016.
- Great Ormond Street handbook of paediatrics. 2nd ed. London: CRC Press, 2016.
- Manual of childhood infections. 4th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016. (Also available as an e-book)
- Nelson textbook of paediatrics. 20th ed. London: Elsevier, 2016.
- Oxford handbook of children’s and young people’s nursing. 2nd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2016.
To browse a fuller list of books available on this topic on the catalogue, please click here: browse Paediatrics books.
Here are some relevant titles which are available as an e-book (click title to access and log in with NHS OpenAthens login if prompted):
|Manual of childhood infections. 4th ed.
(Oxford Specialist Handbook)
|Paediatrics at a glance. 4th ed.||2016||Miall|
|Oxford handbook of children’s and young people’s nursing. 2nd ed.||2016||Glasper|
|BNF for Children 2016-17||2015|
|Children’s and young people’s nursing at a glance||2015||Glasper|
|Paediatric respiratory medicine. 2nd ed.
(Oxford Specialist Handbook)
|Oxford handbook of paediatrics. 2nd ed.||2013||Tasker|
|Oxford handbook of clinical skills for children’s and young people’s nursing||2012||Dawson|
If you can’t find what you’re looking for, we can obtain articles from other libraries for you via our Document Supply Service.
Here is a selection of some of the journals available for this specialty:
|Archives of Disease in Childhood||1928-||NHS OpenAthens|
|BMC Pediatrics||2009-||Freely available|
|Child: Care, Health & Development||2003- (1 year delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
|Current Opinion in Pediatrics||1999-2016||NHS OpenAthens|
|European Journal of Pediatrics||1996- (1 year delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
|International Journal of Child & Adolescent Health||2014-||NHS OpenAthens|
|Issues in Comprehensive Pediatric Nursing||1998- (18 month delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
|Maternal & Child Health Journal||1997- (1 year delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
|Nursing Children & Young People||2014- (7 month delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
|Pediatric Surgery International||1997- (1 year delay)||NHS OpenAthens|
NHS Healthcare databases (HDAS) – (NHS OpenAthens login required)
Search across a set of databases including:
AMED – Allied & Complimentary Medicine – allied health professionals, complementary medicine
BNI – British Nursing Index – nursing, midwifery and health visitors
CINAHL – Cumulative Index to Nursing & Allied Health Literature – nursing & allied health professionals
EMBASE – Drugs and pharmacology
Healthcare Business Elite – Healthcare administration, institutional management
HMIC – Healthcare Management Consortium
Medline – general medicine database
PsycINFO – Psychology & allied fields.
ProQuest Hospital Premium Collection – (NHS OpenAthens login required)
PubMed – (no login required)
For more information on these resources, full visit our full Evidence-based practice page.
BMJ Case Reports – NHS OpenAthens login required. Contact us for Fellowship Code to submit case reports.
Clinical Knowledge Summaries – no login required
Cochrane Library – no login required
NICE Evidence search – no login required. See also NICE Guidance, NICE Pathways & Standards & Indicators.
TRiP database – no login required. TRiP PRO is available from NHS networked PCs.
UpToDate – access via Hub (Non-Clinical Systems) on RD&E site, or via NHS OpenAthens off site.
BMJ Learning – NHS OpenAthens login & personal registration required
The Child Elf – from the National Elf Service – keep up to date with reliable child health research, policy & guidance
e-Learning for Healthcare – NHS OpenAthens login. Including access to: Healthy Child programme, Healthy School Child programme, Paediatric Surgery, Safeguarding children.
Peninsula PGME School of Paediatrics
Royal College of Paediatrics & Child Health
UCL Institute of Child Health
Here are some of the latest research publications written by RD&E authors in this specialty:
(added to the RD&E Research Repository):
- Trial baseline characteristics of a cluster randomised controlled trial of a school-located obesity prevention programme; the Healthy Lifestyles Programme (HeLP) trial.
- Pharmacological interventions for recurrent abdominal pain in childhood.
- An alternative sensor-based method for glucose monitoring in children and young people with diabetes.
- Exercise capacity following a percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy in a young female with cystic fibrosis: a case report.
If you’ve written an article, book or book chapter and you’d like the details added to the RD&E Research Repository, please contact us: rde-tr.ResearchRepository@nhs.net.
For more information on how the library can support your research, please visit the Research Hub.
Click here for instructions and links to download the official NICE apps for:
BNF for Children
To use the NICE BNF and NICE BNFC apps for the first time and to activate any content updates, users will need to enter their NHS OpenAthens user name and password. For further advice, visit the NICE apps support page.